Recipe of the Month – Traditional Kagianas
Welcome to a culinary experience, tailored by Starwood Hotels & Resorts, Greece. This is a memorable journey through the most authentic locations of the Mediterranean. Every month, discover an alluring and traditional recipe.
Recipe of the Month – November 2012
presented by Chef Apostolos Demou at The Westin Resort, Costa Navarino.
• The pork belly needs to be prepared 18 hours in advance. Mix in a sauce the pan sea salt together with brown sugar, smoked paprika, juniper berries and the chopped fresh herbs of thyme and rosemary. Once you mix these ingredients, press the pork belly into this mixture to get marinated. Place the pork belly in a tray and brush it with the mixture from all sides. Keep the pork belly in the fridge for at least 6 hours.
• Take the pork belly and remove the marinate from the surface with a knife. Ideally you would wash the pork belly and then place it in a vacuum bag to cook for 16 hours and 68C. Then cool and keep into the fridge without opening the vacuum bag.
Chefs tip – Cooking the pork belly sous vide allows you to keep all the juice of the meat. Use fresh herbs and Omega 3 eggs.
• Clean the fat from the pork belly and cut 3 pieces into smaller cubes.
• Add in a sauce pan the chopped parsley together with the chopped garlic and spring onions and mix together.
• In the mean while heat in a midium pan some olive oil and start colorize the pork belly.
• Add a bit of wine to deglasser and then add the sping onion mixture.
• Slowly add the tomato sauce.
• Continue by adding the eggs straight in the pan and just stir gently.
• You may add some more salt and pepper if you wish.
• Add the sfela chees and stir again.
Ingredients (serves 4)